Research in childhood


 Research is Sabot school's umbrella project this year.  It's one of the 5 Rs that guides the school. This project will look differently in each group, influenced by the personality and interests of the children and teachers. Some things I am wondering about have to do with children's inborn ways of researching. Is there a methodology children use that I haven't noticed? We know what research in school typically looks like, but what is beyond that? What is behind and underneath? What is research like in its wild state- on the playground or in the forest? Does research ever wear a cape or twinkling crown?

Here are a few pictures that show what research is looking like in some classrooms that I am collaborating with..
WAYS OF BEING STRONG, SECOND GRADE
guy with a 16 pack
 

BEING A PERSON, FIRST GRADE
"Cal: Right when you’re born is when you become a person. And a person is just one person, but a people is more than one person.
Annabelle: You’re always sort of a person
Kate: When we were talking about when we become people, actually we always are people. And things like people, they stay that.
Zack: It is hard to find out what color my eyes are. It is a mix of green, blue and gray. I had no idea they were all these different colors.
Penelope: There are way more colors in my eyes than I thought.
Annabel: I can’t even really decide what color my eyes are. Some people say maybe hazel some say more brown! I’m not even sure.
Charlie: My eyes have brown, red and gray mixed in.
Kate: I knew about the blue and the green but I didn’t know about this dark ring around the outside.


























FINDING EVERY SPECIES AT SCHOOL, FOURTH GRADE
In looking for a research question, fourth graders decided to see if they can find out every species that lives near school. They are drawing each specimen and making a card game called
Sabot Species Snap!


















Comments