Beginning a Big Project: Listening

There are a lot of things that influence beginning a new project in a school that doesn't have it's curriculum written out beforehand. I'm thinking now about schools that try to have an image of children as capable of designing their own learning experiences, that embrace flexibility, giving time to go deep into an idea, and that try to hold a role for teachers as researchers and learners in their own right. People often ask how projects develop, because I think it's hard to imagine unless you have let go and tried it. There are lots of examples on this blog and others of projects from beginning to end. Projects tend to begin with provocations and discussions. Below you will find some interesting bits of conversation about listening that could lead to something...
4th grade

Xander "The future is unknown, so we can’t say that we’ll never be able to hear sounds as small as a cat or a snail can hear them. So in the future, if we can make something that can pick up sound waves as small as that, maybe we can figure out if atoms DO make sounds or if dead people DO make sounds."


Max "But we’re not in the future, we’re here now."



2nd grade
Eve "You know, trees can feel vibrations, like snakes. Snakes can feel vibrations under the ground, and so can trees."

Annabel "Waves are sound, and they crash."

Cal "Hearing is not knowing what they’re saying, just random sounds. But listening is knowing what you’re hearing. So if I hear the sound of the waves and I’m at the beach, and I know it’s the sound of waves, then I’m listening. But you’re just hearing if you don’t know what sound it is. Or if you’re not trying to figure it out."

Shayna "If I’m listening to the symphony I might not be able to hear every sound. Like there might be a harp in the orchestra, but I can’t hear the harp. But if I was really listening, I might be able to pick it out. I might be able to see it, but I might not be able to hear it because everything is happening at the same time."


Preschool
Anna I was remembering Josie and Connor were calling out "tree, what is your name?" in very loud voices, but I did not hear the tree tell us his name."
Connor "Maybe that's because were talking to the tree's toes."
Boyan "That's why it's not giving it's name to us. Because trees don't talk."
Anna Do trees have names?  "No" "No"
Well then why were you asking the tree it's name?
Boyan "I know. Maybe in the forest they have names."
Josie "But this tree is the Waiting Tree."
Anna This tree seems all by himself
Lorraine "No, he's not all by himself."
Josie "no it isn't."
Well who are it's friends?
Connor or Josie "Us. We are."
Boyan "Also other trees."
Connor (pointing out the window) "That's our Waiting tree!"
Boyan "Maybe we could draw a tree (for it)?"
Connor "Put the present inside it's bark. Wrap them up and the tree will open them."
Boyan "Wrapping paper is only for wrapping up. We need to have a envelope."
Lorraine "We could say, you will not die."
Anna Do you think it's an old man tree or a young child tree?
Josie "Young child."
Boyan "Trees doesn't talk."
Josie "We could talk to it's toes!"
Boyan "Maybe we could make a tree (for it). It would make him so happy."



Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing the conversations of children. Each time a teacher pulls out transcripts and shows me the depth to which children can think, and share their thinking, it strengthens my image of the child. I wish we educators could all sit in on every conversation--but this helps!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please do comment!